I live in the city of Luzern. www.luzern.org Population roughly around 70K. It really feels like a small town though. Probably because you can walk from one side of the town to the other in about 30 minutes. It's really a beautiful city - picturesque and quite charming. The city is divided by the River Reuss which flows out of Lake Luzern. The buildings that flank the river are out of sight. They are medieval in nature, gothic looking, if you will. There are so many gorgeous houses and churches. Even the streets in "Old Town" are sweet. They are made from cobblestones, that at some points are large public squares, and at other points they are winding little alley ways. While walking, the roads seem to meander into little hidden areas, and then pop you back out on to another cobblestone road again. There is no grid system road network here. The roads all curve and end into another road named something entirely different with its own little winding alleys. I'm learning - very slowly, I think. All I ever hope when I'm walking is that the road I'm on will eventually lead me to one of the four bridges; so, that I can cross the river bringing me to the other side of town.
Which brings me to getting around town ... Walking is the way of life here. Although their public transportation system is tight. Super efficient and decently affordable. They actually follow a time table here, and are rarely late. From my flat, public trans is not really an option; So, I walk, and I walk, and I walk. You may be asking - why is public trans not an option? Well, let me tell you a little bit about where I live ...
My address is >>>> [email me if you want it] <<<<. A little bit about where I live ... If you would like to see it from above, go to google maps, and put in the street and number and city, then once the pic pops up, click on Satellite - and that's where I live. It's cool! Anyhow, I live on a mountain. I'm not kiddding. Ok - maybe I'm exaggerating slightly, but I live above the city, and my view is crazy! (see the pic to the left) But if you want a view (and don't live in a highrise), then you must give up something else - and, here, I had to give up an easy walk to town. I take a trail down the mountain in order to get to the street below. It's hard to describe, but I'll put up pics to explain. It's quite the hike. I'll just say this - within a month, I will have tight calves and gluts. haha. However, right now, I'm still panting all the way up and wishing that I would just fall down dead so that I could stop climbing the mountain. (pic of my trail to the down and to the right here)
I started classes this week. It should be interesting. The classes here are a bit different that at my law school in Chicago. They're very interactive, unlike a lot of law classes which are just lecture, lecture, freaking lecture. Here, every person has to be an active participant. We have group exercises. In one of my classes we will be given a fictitious human rights case, which we will take through the international human rights court avenues, write complaints, mock trial, judgment, etc. I was thrown in the "judge" group, meaning I am not a lawyer for the petitioner (the person whose rights were allegedly violated, for you non law people), nor am I a lawyer for the state. I will read complaints from both sides regarding issues of admissibility - write a judgment on that; then we will put on a mock trial, and I will question the attorneys, and give my judgement at the end. Seem like a cinch? Well, it's not. I'm scared shitless. oh well. We'll see. School stuff is boring to most normal peeps, so I'll switch courses here ...
I have made a few friends. Mostly international kids. There's 10 of us from all over: 3 from Chicago, 2 from Turkey, 2 from China, 1 from Israel, 1 from Czech Republic, and 1 from Austria. I've also made a couple Swiss friends, which is great. Last night all us international kids went out ... all I can say is German bier is potent as a mother *^*$#! haha. I had to take a cab home because there was no way I was making it back up the mountain in my condition. :) The bar life in Luzern is interesting. The clubs are very European. There's techno music everywhere - makes me want to shoot myself in the head, but whatever - ha. And the Swiss love their cigarettes unfortunately - in bars, restaurants, cafes, bathrooms, everywhere. I guess I'll just have to get use to smoke again. oh well.
Today was the first day of Fasnacht! Carnival for all you Americans. The Swiss dress up and party their generally-reserved-asses off during Fasnacht, which lasts from today until Ash Wednesday. Although the first parades were today, the main parade is Tuesday night (I hear). It's the Monster Parade! The tale is that the Swiss dress as monsters to scare off winter and bring on the spring. So, I'm all about it! Granted, it's colder in Chicago than here, but you
all know I freaking hate being cold. So, I say 'monster monster monster'!!
Ok. So I'm tired of writing. And you're tired of reading. More later ... post monster parade... ooh ooh ooh ooh ahh ahh ahh ahh ... Scared aren't you? What movie are those famous sounds from? Come on! I expect at least one of you (in particular) to know the answer. Don't let me down!!!
MY LUZERN PICS: www.picasaweb.google.com/kddickens
Nice! I Google Mapped your address, and it doesn't even look like there's any roads leading up there. What's it like if it rains?
ReplyDeleteHope you're having a good time. -Vicki
I hate scarey movies. But this one is going way back.. is it alfred hitchcock's "Psycho"? If not then I have no idea.
ReplyDeleteLOve you and glad you are having a good time.
I know that you are going to be shocked, but I'm quite proud of myself (your not-so-tech-savvy friend) for being Follower #3. This is my first blogging experiece and just know that I wouldn't do this for just anyone. Sounds like you're having a great time and the pics are amazing! Hope the trail doesn't ice over. :)
ReplyDeletefriday the 13th?
ReplyDeletenice blog. I might be jealous.
Your pictures are awesome. The first thing Aaron asked me when I told him you were going to Switzerland was "why is someone who is allergic to the cold going there?". Glad to hear it's actually warmer than Chicago! :) Go Monster!! I want one for Omaha...
ReplyDeleteWhat's the name of the school. We were looking at google satelite and found your flat and the streets. I want to be able to find the school too. Loving the pics. Next time make sure you are in at least one of them too please. Dad sends his love. And he of course loves the mountain pics. Sending hugs and kisses your way.
ReplyDeleteyeah!! Jason wins! well done you. classic friday the 13th sounds... super scary. and yes - JZ, i know you're jealous.
ReplyDeletemy school is the Universitat Luzern ... but there's not actually one building and not a campus. there are numerous buildings all over the city. kind of crazy.
and yes I'll get some pics of me in them one day. i'll just have to turn the camera on myself.
oh - melis - and regarding the cold. it's kind of in check lately. as long as i stay calm and don't stay out in it for toooo long, then I'm good to go. weird, huh.
ReplyDeleteOHHH - so i finally put captions under some of the pics. sorry, i was too tired to do it last night. but if you're interested, the captions are now there. :)
ReplyDeleteHey girl looks like you are having a fun time. Those dam monsters are pretty scary looking winter should be running away soon. I know you hate that smoking crap. I was so happy they passed that law here I can see and breathe. Nice pics it looks awsome over there. We all miss your pretty smile so listen to your mother and get on the other side of the camera. I will write you more when I get a chance my boss is right behind me annoying the _ _ _ _ out of me right now. peace out.
ReplyDeleteyo-yo... hello my wonderful sister. wish i could be there chilling with ya. hope you got super crazy with the monster. that would be a blast. the walk looks harsh. guess you will have some killer calves by the time you get back.. the pics look great. that is my kind of place. party on excellent...hehehe and keep your head up. love ya.
ReplyDeleteWhat is up with the weird add creatures in the parade? Holy crap. I'm scared just from the pictures....which means you're in heaven.
ReplyDeleteUh, and that should say "ass" NOT add obviously. I can't type today.
ReplyDeletekaren - it's the monster parade. they're suppose to be weird and scary to frighten off winter and bring on the spring. :) also, i went to the super monster parade last night - SWEET. i have loads of pics. will have to begin uploading tomorrow. until then ... cheers
ReplyDeleteWell, can the monsters come here and get Spring here sooner than later? I'm tired of freezing my buns off outside all the time. Do you think I could litter train a puppy? I'm glad to hear that they 'one up' themselves by having a SUPER monster parade as well. It sounds like they just like to celebrate....which means you must be fitting right in :)
ReplyDeleteHey what's up, That carnival looks freaky & fun. Hope you r having a good time just wanted to say Hi.... later ... Mel says hi she will send you some cookies soon ..... Later
ReplyDelete